Friday, April 11, 2008

A coastal ride down the Regions ...

Day 91 - Friday 11 April 2008

A smouldering, steaming volcano having just arrived in Chile ...











The Chilean flag in Arica welcomes me to my 4th country of the trip ...














Urban beach life ...











This girl watched me line up this photograph and blatantly walked straight into the shot so I thought it was fair enough to post ...











If you hear a rumble then it's pretty clear you need to head left ...











How many days? My clothes are picking up stains they wouldn't normally own and the South American washing detergent just won't shift that slightly weird smell - I haven't jumped into looking like a Bolivian-based traveller but I'm definitely on the road ...

And quite literally because the last week's been a start/stop adventure out of Bolivia and down the weirdly set up numbered Regions of Chile (yes - you read it right - numbered - I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in that high powered Government meeting - 'so Presidente, what shall we call these Regions we've just cleverly split the country into?', 'you know what, the surf's up, just number 'em, adios'!)

From north to south the Regions are numbered 1 to 12 with the strange exception of the Region including Santiago that gets off the hook and a title of Region Metropolitana - maybe that vanilla/chocolate/strawberry ice cream originated there ...

But, as always, I've jumped ahead!

I left La Paz in Bolivia very early on Monday morning and was striking out across South America on my own - I felt a little cautious when the bus driver seemed to stop way too frequently for the first hour - I still don't know quite was he was up to - but he looked like he was helping mates shift large quantities of bog roll across Bolivia ... I guess there was a Boliviano or two to be made somewhere down the line

Nothing to worry about in the end and my second overland border crossing was nailed having traversed what was a bit like a de-militarised zone between Bolivia and Chile - strangely - it seemed that any Bolivian who even had a twinkle in their eye hopped off the bus and didn't head into Chile - and it had to be one of the most stunning de-militarised zones in the world - there was a volcano I think and I'm hoping it was team emanating from it's top - not smoke!

Mind you once you hit Chile and start descending from the Andes how things change - we were striking straight west by this point and for the northern Chilean coastal town of Arica - desert, cacti, more desert, rocks, more desert - you get the picture ...

Now people had told me that Chile was awesome (Claire Willerton's voice telling me how much she loved it is stuck in my mind) and I know what they mean! I'd say that compared to Peru and Bolivia it's like a sanitised version of South America - everything bar the dangerous edge! And if you're travelling in South America head north to south the same way as me and Chile will feel like a breath of fresh air

I say that with some caution 'cos I don't want to label what I've experienced in Peru and Bolivia as worse than here - somewhere being edgy and lacking the economy of somewhere else doesn't make it worse than somewhere more familiar - but that's just what it is - Chile is recognisable (and consequently less shocking) to a European

The brand names we know are back, the supermarkets are here and you're not haggling on street corners for bottles of water (that was fun I might add and I think in general I didn't get ripped for 'gringo' prices!)

Arica was cool for one night and had a great rock overlooking the town that proudly flew the Chilean flag reminding me where I now was!

But it was just a stop over and the next day I switched bus companies to the incredible (and I mean waaaay better than Greyhound in the USA and National Express in England) Tur Bus

Tur Bus rip up and down the Pan American highway (the road I'm attached to by an umbilical cord right now) almost hourly regardless of how near or far you're heading - I did their standard service from Arica to Iquique and then upgraded to first class for the all nighter to here in La Serena - a bed, a bed I tell you! - 7 hours kip and I'm tapping happily away here instead of in my hostal (the standard word for hotel in South America) feeling like crap!

Iquique actually retained a bit of the South American edge and my favourite things were the Georgian buildings and the presence of tsunami signs (basically, run away from the sea as fast as you can!) - in fact I woke up to a rumble one night thinking just that - only to come round and realise it was the builders renovating some of the rooms in the hostal to start the day - I left!

Although I have to mention the surf - bizarrely I think this was the first time I'd been anywhere where the surf was pretty serious - I don't think Cornwall counts when I could tackle it at 11 on a polystyrene board - I mean this stuff rumbled and you could read the Pacific Ocean coming at you from a way off shore - incredible! - oh - and have I mentioned the out of season climate that, for a week, has involved zero clouds and 25 degree temperatures - northern Chile is California for the braver traveller!

And now I'm checking out another seaside town 7 hours north west of Santiago called La Serena - this is where the Santiagoans come to play and you can tell - because it's seriously monied - today I've been in a mall that wouldn't be out of place removing a piece of stunning Kent countryside - and La Serena's also peaceful, orderly, quiet, and a very, very easy lifestyle - strangely I'm fighting the urge to dash for Santiago and a city again - the top of the Andes seem so far away already!

But I'll have at least tomorrow here as well - I spent this afternoon hanging out and reading in La Serena's Plaza de Armas - the most stunning and nicest yet in all my South American journey - but maybe that's the familiarity talking 'cos I really could be in Spain ...

Which reminds me - a word to anyone thinking of heading here (and it's certainly worth it) - learn Spanish! - I'm now really in the heart of Chile and I see no other travellers - consequently, I see no one else who speaks English - and that's great, why I'm here and my language skills are taking leaps and bounds forwards (I no longer use 'habla Ingles por favor') - but, actually, all through South America I've been really impressed by how many people (travellers not the locals!) speak great, really great, fluent Spanish - lucky buggers!

And that's enough for another day - night's closing in and I want to get something to eat in the Plaza - I've booked a potentially superb trip tomorrow night to the world class Mamalluca observatory where I plan to don a monocle, talk too quickly and join the astronomy club ... and if you didn't get that reference ... Moore (not Roger - the other one!)

A weird photographic problem involving Firefox (nah - has to be Tossnet Explorer) - I'll put them up in the future! - picture blue sky!

6 comments:

Claire W said...

Hi Jeremy!

So sorry that i have not managed to email you before- Van has been keeping me well informed of your travels and to be honest, I hear about them with awe (but mainly seething jealousy!!!!!). No need to ask if it was the right decision to pack up your belongings and hit the road then!!!!

Your trip sounds inspiring. You are managing to catalogue everything so well. I'm not quite sure where you get all the time- and patience with dodgy internet cafes- to do it, but i have to say i admire you for it. I am sure that it will prove to be an amazing resource to look back on when you are grey and wrinkly!
I'm glad you are enjoying the delights of Chile. I think it was more the people that i was lucky enough to meet whilst there, that made Santiago stay in my head for such a long time. Mind you, that always seems to be the way.
Have you checked out the way they say Chile yet? I love that! Clearly doesn't take much to bring a smile to my face!
Sounds as though you found Peru as astonishing a place as we did- though you clearly made more of an effort to cover more ground- again i can sense that unhealthy feeling of jealousy bubbling up!
It was so great to read your blogs about your impressions of it.

I hope that you continue to squeeze out every last drop of adventure on your epic journey- so glad that i have been able to quickly catch up with you.

Take care of yourself and enjoy every single moment!

Lots of Love

Claire Willerton

P.S. We used to send our dirty landry to the laundrettes in true Eastenders stylee. Even with industrious cleaning products you just can't shift that strange S.American smell.....What is that????!!!!
xx

Sally Elliott said...

Hi Jez. It's 2am and we have just returned from Joffy's wedding and great fun had by all. We did however all really missed you so thought I would check out the blog as soon as I got home! Been missing it as have been in Devon for the last week. Have takjkeuy 9JHBGFDIJKM7U8N7HBNTGVCRF3X (Elliott is next to me and hammered so apologies for that!!) As I was saying I took a few good photos (particularly one of Becky dancing away - talented as she is in the old dance department it definitely looked odd without you! She insisted we all "did a Jez move" at some point in the evening!!) which I will try to load tomorrow and see if it is possible to post them on your blog or something clever like that! Sleep beckons...
Sally XXXXX

Growbag said...

Just had a chance to catch up with the latest legs of your journey big man and it is good to see you are still 'living the dream'. I will e-mail in the week with more detail of life back here in glorious England but in the mean time keep enjoying.

All the best

GB

Jeremy Lemarchand said...

Hey gang and welcome to the blog posting world Claire

Great to have you on board and thanks for your overly kind post! As I said to my mate Rousey - discipline is creating the blog - the same discipline that put Staffordshire tennis on the map although I´ve now handed the managment of that over to someone just as capable ... know him?!

Is Chile = Chill-ay! - or Chil-oh-ay? - I think the latter's a part of the former - I'm in your club though 'cos it makes me smile too! - and yeah - what is that smell - it reminds me of a chemistry experiment at school that went slightly wrong! - when I hit New Zealand my kit's getting a double wash - and like you - the lavanderia's are doing well off me - my clothes now all have a green piece of wool identifying them that I just can't be assed to remove!

You're right of course - not really regretting the decision to see the world!!!

And where have you been Sally?! - only joking - glad you had a break and thanks for checking in so quickly after Joffy's wedding - I thought of you all yesterday while watching a Chilean wedding in a Japanese garden! - I'll admit to a pang of missing you all - and hope that Nev danced with her hubbie this time - he can move that boy! - don't know about posting a picture - give it a go - or just mail me one - would looove to see the frolics! - I hope Nick didn't get covered in cucumber sarnies like other weddings

And thanks for checking in GB - I hope the Awards night created another bit of history for you and Dave - and extended the DVD box set now of course - please let me know the news and Awards - did Urban Hockey fly or bomb?!

Soz - a too long comment but a lot going on right now - including the Masters that I'm watching online!

Santiago tomorrow and I'm Jonesying for civilization and a subway system again ...

Anonymous said...

Hi mate. Having a relaxing week at home with the bairns. Suffolk seems miles away, but we had a grat time. We did a great walk around Woburn yesterday, it was looking splendid in the spring sunshine.

When do you head over to NZ, I only ask as I am not sure how long the worlds cleanest perosn can stand smelling like an old shoe!!

A couple of amusing ponits from the weds, Gars greeted Statham with a big hug and proceeded to tip beer all over Amanda, it was only lunch time!! Gill alos got involved and swinging someone round ended up covering Jame in beer. Somethings never change.

It was good to see Sharpy, he was on top form.

Masters was great, Rose, Casey, Poulter all gased. When are these boys going to step up??

Swift

Jeremy Lemarchand said...

The old shoe smell is on a countdown Swifty - I fly to NZ next Tuesday but also hopeful that my stuff in a Santiago lavanderia today is washed in something stronger than cold water - glad Woburn was looking so awesome (a day out again when I'm back) and thanks for the weds stories - glad it wasn't me leading the boys astray for a change - maybe my guzzling days are behind me! - the English lads lack any bottle - pure and simple! - but nicely played to a clcass act in Trev Imms - love to your 3 girls - J x