Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The end of the American odyssey ... but only for the North!

Day 60 - Tuesday 11 March 2008

Shoot man - I've been on the road for well over 2 months now and I'm still only 1 country down - maybe the USA is bigger than I thought - I better get a move on!

So it’s been a week or two of back to normality. Living life like everyone else. Well. Everyone else who’s not working for a living right now. But it’s been a magic week or two because it’s been a pretty busy one for Rich. He talked about his latest game, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, at the University of Southern California’s Robert Zemeckis Centre for Digital Arts. A cracking turn out of just under 50 under-grads, post-grads and anyone off the street who’s into their gaming. A top presentation and I acted as presenter-analyst and photographer for the night. The place is unreal. Funded by Bobbie Zemeckis (Back To The Future and Forrest Gump) and covered in original artwork signed by his mates George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, etc. Need I say more!

And if that wasn’t enough afterwards we hooked up with Tracy and Mark from the Centre and checked out an incredible dream-like-state game and the latest cutting edge Virtual Reality technology. And I mean real cutting edge, best in the world, stuff. We, of course, couldn’t wait to get stuck in and here’s a picture of me looking like Doc Emmitt ‘1.21 gigawatts’ Brown! I felt like puking after a short while because it was a driving simulation and you have a 360 degree field of view i.e. you can look behind you and there’s the world. Incredible, once in a lifetime stuff.







We also headed up the J. Paul Getty Museum that sits atop a hill overlooking the whole of Los Angeles. You get a rare view of everywhere and as a friend of Rich’s put it ‘you come here for the setting, eating and atmosphere as much as for the art’. The said friend was Albrecht who is a conservator of art for the Museum and he gave us a behind the scenes tour of the art conservation department. The photography/architecture side of things than the fine art but none-the-less a real privilege. Everything’s unbelievably clean and white with wonderfully warm and welcoming people around. A bit like the watery world where they make the clones in Star Wars Episode 2!

Here’s a picture shortly before we got round to checking out some art of Stan Laurel (left) and Bob Mortimer (right). 2 comedy greats back dropped by Beverly Hills and Bel Air. Not a bad neighbourhood to hang out in that day!







And I was really chuffed to get another National Park in before leaving this beautiful land. My number 5
of this journey was Joshua Tree that lies east of Los Angeles by a few hours and consists of loads of U2 cassettes piled on top of one another. Actually, that’s not strictly true and the Joshua Tree is a member of the Yucca family. I love this shot of Rich making sure he got the J Tree in a top composition for this shot.













This is one of the very few places in the world it grows. Certainly in this quantity. Rich’s mate Robert did a top job of driving us out there in his Wrangler Jeep and diverting off road to find wildflowers all over the desert floor. These few weeks are the only time all year they’re out and rare because of the lack of water and abundance of sand. A crazy spectacle.










At the top of J Tree there’s a spectacular view point where you can see down into Mexico and observe the San Andreas Fault that Superman had to battle in Superman 1 I think. May Christopher Reeve rest in peace. I loved those movies! At least you can kind of see this enormous valley. It’s covered in what you first think is mist. Until you read the information boards and learn that it’s actually smog being blown in from Los Angeles. It adds a whole other perspective to those images of Hollywood stars in Hummers. They’re seriously knackering this part of the world and, admittedly slowly, harming the people who call LA home. Listen to me. Some time in the great outdoors and I’m turning into a hippy. Which I like! I’ve added ‘go properly green’ to my list of things to change in my life!















And so my time here's up. I fly down to Lima in Peru and add another country to my journey. I'm feeling a bit apprehensive 'cos Peru and Bolivia aren't quite as cosy as LA's Japantown where I currently live! But I'll adjust back into traveller mode again quickly I'm sure and am really looking forward to my adventure tour from Lima to La Paz with Intrepid that starts on Friday. I'll be camping high in the Andes in a couple of weeks. Wow!

So it’s only right to make a couple of lists and give you my impression of the USA.

‘When I leave the USA I won’t miss …

a society trying too hard to solve problems by creating plenty more (‘take this drug to cure x and you’ll only have to suffer from y and z instead’)

people wearing their mobile/cell phones on holsters like it’s trendy (it’s not)

a post 9/11 nervousness that results in search after search and no bags after no bags and no water containers after no water containers and … (you get my point)'

‘When I leave the USA I’ll miss …

root beer

Red Vines

top quality service

a ‘can do’ attitude to life

gregarious, outgoing, confident, honest, open, chatty, helpful, fabulous people

basketball (I may play when I get back and LeBron James rocks)

big coffees

having loads of 1 dollar bills in my pocket and making me feel rich when I’m not

playing any more of Rockband and Uncharted (a PS3 is high on my must-have list but not right now ‘cos they’re big and heavy you know)

… my brother (who, as always, has been an absolute star during my stay and is very happy here in LA)'

It’s ridiculous to pick fave countries at any point in this journey. They all are what they are (or will be what they’ll be). I used to idolize California but having traveled coast to coast I don’t feel like that about this state or the country as a whole. But I do love it and probably because it’s very like the UK. Or we’re very like the USA is more accurate. It's really not as big as I imagined and everyone always says (most, like Judith Chalmers, probably haven't done it overland on the bus and train where you get the real perspective). I hope everyone quickly forgets the latest administration in The White House and the USA's citizens vote in sweeping change soon. Maybe then it can be remembered again not for it's foreign policy but for the beauty pf it's land and it's people. I don't think humankind can create the perfect society but this can't be far off.

Take it easy the United States of America and I'll finish off by giving you the answer to the week long poll running on the blog. You voted like you thought I'd bumped into Will Ferrell who was a topical choice if Semi-Pro is out in the UK right now! But my red herring worked and it wasn't Will Ferrell. I did suggest that this was not my usual 'saw Annabel Croft at Wimbledon' line. This is the big league and my best ever celebrity spot. Drum rolllll please ... Al Pacino. Arguably the best actor of my lifetime was on his phone trying to arrange meeting up with a friend 'no, left, on Ocean' immediately next to Jez. Big leather jacket, baggy Tiger Woods early 90s slacks and huge brown shoes. But boy did his face look worn and full of intrigue. Anyone top that? And Brian Jacks when they did their Superstars tour when we were kids doesn't count ...

10 comments:

Sally Elliott said...

Jez, just come home from night out at book club - totally knackered but couldn't resist checking to see if you had blogged! So glad I did. Very excited to see you next installments though as not sure how much more US knowledge I can soak up!!!! Keep it coming - am sure you are not missing Blighty - massive gales this week and feel like the house is going to blow down.Elliott in Ipswich til Friday night so hopefully am safe!!!!! Lots of love Sally

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you becoming a hippy and a bit greener in your views. Still haven't been to Tesco's this year it feels so liberating. maybe when you get back we can take you to Norfolk to do some twitching!!Now to S Am, an all together different game. Watch out for the altitude sickness in the Andes. Currently lying on the sofa taking a day off as I feel like cack. Charging the batteries up for Wells's stag do on Friday, boating on the Broads, Partridge here we come. Take care. Swift

Jeremy Lemarchand said...

Top commitment Sally - that'll win you the award for best supporter - don't worry lovely - no more USA stuff to remember - together we've cracked that country!
But Swifty's pushing you for the lead - bloody good effort mate not going to Tesco's - to be applauded - teach me when I get back - and glad you're taking Wellsy's do seriously - just watch for falling cows
Arrived safely in Lima - South America's already wild and crazy - but safe and sound - though the smog suggests you're right mate - gone up a step here!

Els said...

Hey mate

Good to catch up with your latest exploits, think you're safely in the south now - should be quite a contrast.
Well done to the Swift, shopping in the independents - bet it tastes better
Currently watching the Sunday repeat of Match of the Day, Reading took the lead at Anfield with an absolute piledriver "what a hit that was" from Hansen but the reds finished 2-1 up. Charlton lost against Ipswich and are in big danger of falling out of the play-off zone. Anyway, enjoy the new experience and can't wait for next update
Els

Anonymous said...

Hey Jez
Still haven't been to Waitrose this year - we don't have a local one.Cracking stories throughout your tour - each one brings new insight. Currently recovering from Joff's stag do which involved masses of laughs/beer and culminated with three in a bed terror with Jackson and the Cornf' - Zoe's words were 'Will you never learn?'
Live well in Lima
reg

Anonymous said...

Jez - I only read 1 book a year so all this blogging is certainly inproving my vocabulary. How about a few Peruvian monster words next time so I can blow them away in Scrabble.
Nice to see you're having a great time. It's something you'll treasure for ever more. Yesterday mini-flake named his bestest bird as the vulture. Hang on I said, and tracked down 4 photos from my travels in '97 in the Serengetti of masses of vultures. I hope you have some fatastic experiences in South America.
I'll just update you briefly on the stag do. I spent 2 nights with Rob in the double bed - fortunately it was bitterly cold so had 7 layers between me and Jackson. For 2 nights he slept where he fell; he kept the same clothes on for 3 straight days. in fact he kept his boots on for 3 straight days including in bed.
On night 2, Rob made his way into the kitchen area and just stood there swaying for about 10 mins. Reg took advantage of the situation by claiming the other part of the double bed. Rob's brain then kicked into gear and he shuffled back into the room and toppled like an oak tree onto the bed - there he lay for 6 hours. I daren't visit the toilet for fear of losing my spot. Anyhow, we three cuddled up until daylight. Took Rob all the way back home and gave him back to Jane.
Me and Reg ought to recover in due course with a bit of TLC from the wives.

Anyhow, signing off and look forward to tuning in on the next stretch.

Pete, Pol and Miniflake

Growbag said...

Jez

At this rate you will know far more about geography than i do. (And before you say that wouldn't be hard i know it wouldn't) I will have to get you back here for some guest lectures!!!
Glad to see your travels continue to inspire you big man and loving the photos. Mind you as you say you do look like you are a touch nervous on that rock you big girls blouse.
Keep the blogs coming and i look forward to furture master pieces.

Growbag

Jeremy Lemarchand said...

Hey gang

And thasks yet again for the great comments

A quicky (oo-er!) from me to say that I´ve now joined up an adventure tour from Lima to La Paz - I´m repeatedly getting up way too early, catching overnight buses and getting down and dirty in Peru

But way too busy to blog like the USA and this trend may well continue until early April (plus I don´t think you can get access on top of the Andes)

´Í´ll be back´! Check out the Spanish I!

Jezmondo

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are safe and well. Joffs stag do sounds almost as dangerous as S America, especially if your sharing a Miami Vice style speed boat with Gars as Cornf, Reg, CEEJ and the wee bald fellow did. I guess the Peruvians are a little behind with the techno facilities as they have invested all their cash in produce really naff pipe music to flog in shopping centres across the UK. Have fun and take care. Swift

sara said...

aha hello there my dear Jez, haven't sent you a response for a while so as the girls are off riding updating you on a few things in blighty is in order. kitch finished, oak floors laid through the downstairs lots of painting/finishing done but loads still to do. Livi had quite a few swimming lessons now and has started to move in a forward direction which she is most pleased about,her ballet is also progressing well very cute.Maddie cantering on her own with confidence now and has done her first couple of jumps.George scored the final free kick in the final match of the football tourament footy club ala a certain D beckham v Greece, that free kick won them the trophy which was magical, george reckoned it was the work Elliot had done with him a couple of weeks ago on his freekick techniques over Livis car. ( I think he might be right but don't mentioned it to \Nick you know how unbearable he gets)
All doing great at school. George holds the " beat the clock" record for timestables, 16 seconds, next best 38seconds, something to make his Godfather very proud.
Sara horsing v well indeed and enjoying it more week by week.
Stag weekend was terrific but we all missed you.I had the dubious honour of being the one that Robbie picked on for his poking in the chest drink fuelled anger.He did apologise immediately though and was very huggy/humble for the rest of the night, he's a top lad really.Best captain of vessel turned out to be CJ, very handy on deck and got us all together as his crew, well done to "semen stains" Chris.
Joff seemed to have a great time a fitting stag for a fitting stag.
Well thats it keep enjoying Jez and keep those blogs coming in I know talking to the boys that we are all keeping tabs through the net. Cheers for now.
Team Nicholson. x
ps
Thanks Nick,free kick made his dad cry.