Tuesday, February 12, 2008

When I last posted I didn't think I'd have collected 2 'do this before you die' experiences when I sat down again ... but I have!

The first was last Thursday at Arapahoe basin - or A-Basin to the locals. It's the most amazing 'area' (not resort like the others) that is for the die-hards of the Colorado skiing scene (although boarding's allowed and embraced). It's totally no thrills. No brand names, no daft entertainments, just the sports themselves and the infra-structure needed to run them. It reminded me of a non-for-profit golf club. The restrooms (that's common place for me now and I don't know if I'll ever re-lapse back to toilet) were straight out of Ross-on-Wye Golf Club. It's the highest area here in the Rocky Mountains and it showed it's teeth. In the morning I boarded their back bowl and you're totally above the tree-line amongst the rocks ... and the snow! We had the worst white out I've ever experienced and I limped back to the halfway house barely able to see my feet. I couldn't tell up, down, left or right. I lost the horizon and became motion sick falling over once or twice. Perhaps this should have warned me off ...











But for every white out of course there's soooo much snow. I knew it might be a bit special when, during my lunchtime recovery, I saw deep tracks disappear over a bowl of chilli (classic mountain lunch). In the space of a few hours there must have been 12-18 inches of fresh champagne powder that added itself to the already deep base of about 5 feet! It was cold, a Thursday and pretty much just me and the lifties. I spent the most incredible few hours hammering it down green and blue runs (where I could see!) just to pull the hardest turn using my back edge and spraying snow as high as it would go. I beautifully covered my whole body, face and head numerous times and got a double whammy on one go! I was so chuffed to hear another mega-experienced boarder in my hostel tell me she was out in the same conditions and they were the best of her life. I think they'll have been the best of mine? It was so deep it made the front page of the Summit Daily News (Summit County here's widely read newspaper). You just have to be in the right place at the right time!


And if that wasn't enough I then travelled to my fourth area (all on the same lift ticket) on Saturday. It's called Keystone and is similar in resortishness (new word from Jez for the dictionary) to Copper Mountain. But they have a big advantage. Floodlights and night skiing/boarding! Now I'd seen this thing in magazines before and not given it a second thought. But I thought I should at least give it a try. And boy you have to all give it a go at some time in your lives! Even the non-skiiers or boarders. Learn just to be able to do this! It'll be worth it.
















The best way to describe it is Disneyland meets mountain sports. It's the most magical thing to wend your way down and amongst an incredible mountain backdrop under the moon and the stars. Aided by the floodlights of course. This being the USA the floodlights covered half of their front mountain so there must have been about 12 runs for all standards to enjoy. And for my family (and anyone esle who has been to the Isle of Wight) it was Blackgang Chine on ice! It was one of those times (that I hope will be repeated in the Andes and the Himalayas) when you feel about a nano-metre big. Everything around you is so immense, it's quiet, it's dark (the floodlights create mysterious patches of light and dark) and you can sense that the world around you has been here (and, baring a cataclysmic disaster, will be) for millions of years.

It massively helped that I was at my boarding best and the slopes were brilliantly groomed. So I was going fast! (I'd be a giant slalom boarder if anything). They managed the transition from day to night so well and, while allowing you to board through dusk, got everything up and running to keep going until 9pm. The USA at it's customer-focused best! It's also pretty wild! Because of the light you don't necessarily get the best view of the terrain ahead. Consequently, I was wiped out from behind - twice. The first time I fell on my ass and lost my goggles when a middle aged man (like me now I guess!) took me out before he hit his wife who wiped in front of me. What a pair. But he was brilliantly apologetic and I went straight back down to the same place and re-claimed my goggles that were lying in the snow! The second time hurt a bit. A young punk going way too fast for his ability (and forced to apologise by me afterwards) cleared out both my back feet. I was going pretty quick and I was airborne long enough to think 'shoot, I'm airborne'. I now ache like a bugger after that and 11 of the last 13 days boarding. But wasn't it worth it for Keystone at night!

Keystone's also got the most dramatic views of any ski/board area I've visited. I found that out when I visited again on Sunday and saw it in daylight. And it stopped snowing for the weekend. Jaw dropping ...

















And now it's Monday night and I face my final day on a board tomorrow before I head through the Rockies and into Utah on Wednesday. But I'm trying to go out in style by experiencing the full boarding phenomenon. Today I've completed a black diamond mogul field and ridden it without falling over! I'm even balanced enough (or unbalanced depending on style points rating) to use my hand on the mountain to show off!

And just to keep the 'rude rider' himself happy (Vanster) I hit the terrain park yesterday and today. I've slid down a couple of boxes and come out of them with my manhood intact! And, of course, I've pumped my first tranny! 3 times in fact. I totally messed up twice and fell down. But on the third time I found myself peeking over the top of the half pipe but kept it together enough to stay upright and fall out the bottom thinking 'what's that all about'! To be honest Van I'm rubbish and need a few lessons from you and your boys in the future! Not that you can see much of the pipe (Breckenridge is rubbishly cold and windy!) but here I am pulling a Reggie glum one (the eyes were up Bish - honest!) before I put my life in Van's hands!











So over and out from the mountains dudes! Grab your spurs and your horses (by the way the Spanish introduced them if I haven't told you before). It's the wild, wild west in a few days ...

16 comments:

Sally Elliott said...

Jez, this is killing me. I think I am going to have to boycot reading your blogs. Why would I want to continue reading about the glorious snow in the knowledge that I am getting up every morning at 6.15am to go and work with a bunch of naughty school children!!!
Lots of love
Sally

sara said...

well put Sally i am getting more and more jealous as each blog appears.
sounds fab, looks Fab Jez cant wait for the next installment in the wild west .
in the meantime we battle on with our ongoing kitchen issues which is now scheduled for completion in 2010 !!
stay safe love the Waglesons x

Matt said...

You lot can all speak for yourselves, who needs snow, boarding,skiing and beautiful scenery. Cannock has a lot to offer these days, they've even opened up a new bingo hall,and I bet you can't get repeats of celebrity squares over there with eddie large and that nookie bear bloke...priceless.
Keep enjoying my dear friend and I too look forward to the next instalment.And remember... "is it a sausage". Matt

Els said...

Jezzer

Was frosty this morning - did some unintended slipping, nearest I'll get to winter sports this year. Oh well your exploits are keeping the dream alive! Am quite tempted by bingo Matt, perhaps we can try it this weekend?!

Els

sara said...

thank you for the blog hope you're having a good time, I read you were snowboarding, how fast did you go? did you go skiing?,liverpool drew with chelsea arsenal are top with 63 points man u second 58 points seeya love from George.

Dave & Robyn Thrussell said...

Have to say Jez it's obviously agreeing with you. You're looking very youthful in the photo of you sat on the snow! I'm thinking Tom Hanks & 'Big'.

Also a bit concerned about the bloke who hit his wife for wiping out in front of you. Seemed a bit harsh.

See Ya,
Dave.

Anonymous said...

Jez, Just logged in and found got an awful lot of reading to do. Think you're going to be the reality show of choice this season as be livin vicariously throu your good self. Russ

Van said...

Wow!! What a place to board. Sounds like snow surfers paradise Jez. I'd love to have shared some chilli piste side - of course I too am very jealous. You've done well to drag yourself away. Looking forward to redneck stories from the Wild, Wild West. Hope you jump on horse back and lasso a few. Yesseree, Bubba.

Van said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy Lemarchand said...

Hey guys - well thanks very much for the totally amusing comments as always - I've traversed deep into Utah and things are indeed wild - and remote! - I'll blog in a few days time - for now and in reponse =
Sally and Nick need to clear a year in their diary to do this kind of thing - if anyone has the ability to plan a goal and deliver it it's them!
Matt and Sara - sorry the kitchen is mares - I can't believe they're getting away with it - look on the bright side - only a huge extensh and rest of the house(ish) to go! - watched some crappy USA teev this morning Matt to make up for 'is it a sausage' called 'Good Times Utah' - This Morning re-visited!
I went especially fast George - although I've been more reckless - ask Swifty when you see him - I didn't ski - but did the steepest slopes on the mountain - keep enjoying the Premiership and come on your team of Man U - where's Liverpool?!
Come on Russ - where have you been? - cheers for getting involved old bean - I hope you enjoy the musings and look forward to your comedy comments - all well?
Top marks Dave and Robyn for spotting a not-so-clever piece of grammar about the bloke and his wife - v funny! - and 2 top gags - I've always been that youthful don't you think?!
And Vanster - sad to leave the powder my friend - they're on for a 100 year high and another dump of a foot tonight - a late deal perhaps my friend? - check out the Fireside Inn for cheapy, amazing digs?!
Laters alligators The J-ster

Lucy said...

Hello Jez,
Brilliant Blog not sure how you manage to have time to do everything when you must be so busy writing this. hope you keep it up.
Have to say that half term is boring so have booked a holiday to Brazil for Easter, you inspired me.
Take care young man and see you soon.
Lucy x

Els said...

Jez
You been rumbled! - just stumbled across this on youtube. Thought this bloke had nicked all the jezster moves but maybe with 75 million hits this guy was there first, especially enjoyed the sprinkler - never laughed as much as when you did it though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg

Els

Anonymous said...

What an awesome read. You have come a long way since getting drunk in the cage at The Pussy cat in Soldeu with Gars and Dermot Reeve, where the morning after you threw up on a little red run and had to go home early!!
On to the wild west. Watch out for those natice indians. See if you can round up some buffalo and smoke a a pipe with a Big Chief. Live the dream.

swift

Anonymous said...

You're an arse!

Jeremy Lemarchand said...

Well done Lucy - I'm v impressed and chuffed that you're back out exploring again - Brazil - neat choice - mail me what you're up to?!
Els - the guy busting those moves would have to raise his game to compete in Lichfield HC's dance off which'll enter it's second year in a few weeks time!
I'll have you know it was a rather steep blue Swifty! - but I do admit it was the Pussy Cat club - gumpf - I wasn't well - no home earlies now - gritting my teeth through the 90 mph winds and snow more like it!
Is that the Weasel? - if not either Ceej, Sharpy or the real Lord Morgan of Glossop have got a pending libel case on their hands ...!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jez
'It just keeps getting better and better' - no that's not Zoe's view on married life, but my view on your exploits - addictive reading mate - takes about 3 hrs to get through but worth it.
News today - council have put a statue of Tommy Cooper up in his home town and mayor told fave joke. Tommy went to doc and said he had sore throat - doc told him to go and stand by the window with his tongue out - Tommy said is that going to make me better? doc replies no I just don't like my neighbours.
Take care - like the glum one
reg